The World’s Largest Floating Restaurant Is Drowning Into the Ocean

Jakarta

The world’s largest floating restaurant is now sinking. The location is in Hong Kong.

Reported BBC, (21/6/2022), a floating restaurant that is a famous Hong Kong landmark has sunk. It happened days after being pulled by a ship from the port where the restaurant had operated for nearly 50 years.

The Jumbo Floating Restaurant capsized in the South China Sea while en route to an undisclosed location, its parent company said. Aberdeen Restaurant Enterprises said it was deeply saddened by the incident but that no crew member was injured.

The restaurant was closed in March 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. More than 3 million guests are believed to have eaten Cantonese cuisine over the years, including the Queen of England, Tom Cruise and Richard Branson.

Hong Kong's iconic Jumbo Floating Restaurant is towed away in Hong Kong, Tuesday, June 14, 2022. Hong Kong's iconic restaurant on Tuesday departed the city, after its parent company failed to find a new owner and lacked funds to maintain the establishment amid months of COVID-19 restrictions.  (AP Photo/Kin Cheung)Jumbo Floating Restaurant (Photo: AP/Kin Cheung)

Jumbo Floating Restaurant has been the setting in several films, including Bond films. But, the pandemic dealt a fatal blow to businesses as visitors turned away.

Marine engineers have been hired to inspect the floating restaurant before the voyage. The owner said all relevant approvals had been obtained.

The ship will stay at an undisclosed location while waiting for a new operator. However, the Jumbo Floating Restaurant sank on Sunday near the Paracel Islands.

“The Jumbo Floating Restaurant ride was in bad shape and water started to get into it,” said Aberdeen Restaurant Enterprises.

“The water depth at the scene was more than 1,000 meters, making it very difficult to carry out rescue work,” he added.

While the pandemic is the latest challenge for restaurants, Jumbo Floating Restaurant has been facing financial problems for years.

Operator Melco International Development said last month its business had been unprofitable since 2013 and suffered heavy losses.

Watch Videos “Covid-19 Cases Rise Sharply, Hong Kong Considers Lockdown Options
[Gambas:Video 20detik]
(eg/wsw)




en_USEnglish